The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide has voted Coventry University’s Modern University of the Year three times. We are ranked in the UK’s top 15 universities (Guardian University Guide).
Coventry University reputation is for high-quality teaching and research that has an impact. Nearly two-thirds of our study (61%) was deemed ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally outstanding’ by the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
A Centre is where cutting-edge research can be done in areas such as Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, and Future Computing. It combines fundamental science with real-world applications. Data Science is the study and analysis of large quantities of data (Big Data).
It involves a variety of disciplines, including Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, and Statistics, as well as Mathematics. This project is part of the research theme ‘AI for Cyber-Physical Systems.
About the Project
The University of Coventry invites qualified graduates to apply for a fully-funded Ph.D. studentship in the Centre for Computational Science and Mathematical Modelling. This will allow them to work on the project? Reinforcement learning for multi-mile logistics optimization, which Professor James Brusey is leading.
Multi-mile or 4PL logistics is transferring products or items via a network. This can include several stops and, in some cases, some operations (e.g., order regrouping). Given the limited vehicle capacity and other constraints, it isn’t easy to estimate the overall schedule for large quantities of items. Logistics operators want to optimize this schedule to lower costs and reduce customer waiting time.
The current state of the art relies on heuristic rules, but this is not always optimal or nearly optimal. Although A* search solves the optimal problem, they cannot handle large-scale scheduling issues. Even though A* search may be able to solve a single order, it is impossible to solve large orders with limited vehicles.
The successful applicant will begin by developing a solution that works in a simulated logistic system and then add real-world elements such as order regrouping, limited capacity, or order regrouping. Reinforcement learning is one possible solution to the scheduling problem.
However, other options are also being considered. The Ph.D. program will see the applicant interact and collaborate with industry contacts throughout the process to ensure the approach meets their needs. The ultimate goal is to present the industry with a solution that can be taken to market and used in the supply chain.
Apply Now: Vanier Scholarship for International students in Canada 2022
All studentships will include total fees:
- Full tuition fees
- A stipend of up to four years (PS15500/year), subject to satisfactory progress
- Candidates must have chemistry experience, preferably in polymer chemistry.
- Candidates must have demonstrated safe working practices in chemical laboratories.
- It would be advantageous to have a working knowledge of lignin, biopolymers, chemical modifications, and the characterization of polymer materials.
- It would be beneficial if the applicant knew about flame retardant materials.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills.
- You have excellent team skills and can work with a multi-cultural research group.
- Highly regarded applicants with publications will be considered.
- Minimum of a 2nd degree in relevant discipline/subject with at least 60% marks in project elements or equivalent and a minimum of 60% overall module average
- If the undergraduate degree classification is less than 2:2, a Master’s Degree will be accepted in its place.
- An English proficiency minimum (IELTS overall minimum score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component)
- Having a background in at least one of these areas is necessary. Passion for working in each of them is a must: Optimisation, Reinforcement learning
- Potential to do innovative research and complete the Ph.D. in 4 years.
- Competent programming skills
How do you apply for scholarship coventry university?
Please make sure that you contact Prof James Brusey before applying ([email protected]).
Click HERE to submit your Coventry university online application.
Each application requires complete supporting documentation. This includes a covering letter and a 2000-word supporting statement that explains how the applicant’s interests and expertise are relevant to the project.
For more information, please visit CLICK HERE.